This parenting generation is frequently referred to with descriptors like “helicopter parents” and “tiger moms”. Young adults who are being raised with this unprecedented overprotective parenting style are criticized for their lack of maturity and notable lack of ability to navigate life’s little challenges without a descent into despair. Further, a longitudinal research study outlined in the Journal of Child Development showed that a controlling parenting style can hinder not only autonomy, but also relationship development among teens and young adults.
The idea that we cannot shelter and protect our children from harm – is a notion worth thinking about.
A few summers ago, The Atlantic (http://www.theatlantic.com/national/archive/2013/06/a-summer-camp-lesson-good-bye-and-go-away-thank-you-very-much/277145/) published a great article on the virtues of sending kids to summer camp. In it, the author, Jessica Lahey, interviews psychologist Michael Thompson, a New York Times best-selling author who, at that time, had recently published Homesick and Happy: How Time Away from Parents Can Help Kids Grow.
In his book, Dr. Thompson set out a list of things parents cannot do for their children, no matter how creative, smart or desperate they are to do so:
- We cannot make our children happy. buy viagra fast
- We cannot give our children high self-esteem. <a href="http://tadcialispills.us/" onclick="_gaq look these up.push([‘_trackEvent’, ‘outbound-article’, ‘http://tadcialispills.us/’, ‘safe sites to buy viagra’]);” >safe sites to buy viagra
- We cannot make friendships for our children or micro-manage their friendships.
- We cannot successfully double as our child’s agent, manager, and coach.
- We cannot create the “second family” for which our child yearns in order to facilitate his or her own growth.
- It is increasingly apparent that we, parents, cannot compete with or limit our children’s total immersion in the online, digital, and social media realms. cialis 5mg
- We cannot keep our children perfectly safe, but we can drive them crazy trying.
- We cannot make our children independent. buy viagra cheap online australia