Our counselor-to-camper ratio is 1:3. We have approximately 70 staff, 60 female and 10 male, with 15-18 coming from overseas.
The primary role of our counselors is to provide a safe and nurturing environment for our campers so they feel comfortable taking risks, developing independence and developing life skills. Below are some of the requirements to be on staff at Camp Arcadia.
- Applicants must be at least 19 years old by June 1st and preferably have completed one year of college. The average age of a counselor is 22 years old.
- The majority of our staff are returning campers or counselors
- Demonstrate strong skills and experience in at least one of our activities
- Experience in working with and/or teaching children
- A desire to live and work with children ages 7-17
- Comfortable living and working in a rural and rustic setting
- Certifications required for certain positions. First Aid, CPR, Wilderness First Aid, American Red Cross Lifeguard Certification, etc.
- Every potential staff member has an interview over Skype
- Three references provide written recommendations. We speak with all three
- Criminal background checks, including social security number trace, country criminal search, and national sex offender search, are completed before the applicant is hired
Before Camp begins we have 10 days of Orientation for the staff. During Orientation we train the staff on Arcadia & American Camping Association policies & procedures. We also spend time teaching the staff to be “in loco parentis”. Hiking & Canoeing Trips, Archery, and Swimming have additional training before the campers arrive.
States and countries represented by the counselor staff.